You must be signed in to watch these films and series!
- The Artist and the Pervert (2018, 93 mins)
- Betty: They Say I’m Different (2017, 54 mins)
- Black Roots (1970, 63 mins)
- Children of the Light: The Story of Desmond Tutu (2014, 92 mins)
- Color Adjustment (1992, 82 mins)
- Come Back, Africa (1959, 86 mins)
- Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bami (2017, 116 mins)
- On These Grounds (2021, 102 mins)
- Vernon Jordan: Make it Plain (2020, 56 mins)
- Whitney (2018, 121 mins)
- Woman in Motion (2019, 97 mins)
KOHA (Physical Collection)
Children’s Reading List
- The ABCs of Black history, by Cortez, Rio.
- Change sings : a children’s anthem, by Gorman, Amanda
- Please, baby, please, by Spike Lee and Tonya Lewis Lee
- Crown : an ode to the fresh cut, by Barnes, Derrick D.
- The bell rang, by Ransome, James.
- Black History Month Canadian celebrations
- Famous Black Canadians: Black history in Canada
- The Revolution and the Black Loyalists: Black history in Canada
- Enslaved people in Canada: Black history in Canada
- The kids book of Black Canadian history, by Sadlier, Rosemary.
- The Underground Railroad:Black history in Canada, by Seigel, Rachel.
- Sojourner truth: In their own words
Teen Reading List
- The taking of Jake Livingston, by Douglass, Ryan
- Rise to the sun, by Johnson, Leah
- The gilded one, by Forna, Namina
- A song below water, by Morrow, Bethany C.
- Getting away with murder : the true story of the Emmett Till case, by Crowe, Chris.
- On the come up, by Thomas, Angie
Adult Reading List
- The vanishing half, Brit Bennett.
- Harlem shuffle, Colson Whitehead.
- The other black girl
- Conjure women, by Atakora, Afia.
- Transcendent kingdom, by Gyasi, Yaa.
- The book of negroes, by Hill, Lawrence
- Northern Terminus, Journal of the Grey County Black History Event (2002)
- From slavery to freedom, African-Canadians in Grey County
- Policing Black lives, state violence in Canada from slavery to the present
- Men of colour: an historical account of the black settlement on Wilberforce Street and in Oro Township, Simcoe County, Ontario (1819-1949)
- Blacks in deep snow, black pioneers in Canada /by Thomson, Colin A.,
- Blackout: How Black America can make its second escape from the Democrat Plantation, by Owens, Candace.
- Four hundred souls, a community history of African America, 1619-2019
I see the promised land: a life of Martin Luther King, Jr., by Flowers, Arthur.
Local History in the News
The Story of Priceville, Ontario: Remembering one of Canada’s first Black settlements (2021 CBC Massey Lectures / CBC Ideas)
- Black History in Grey County, by Stephanie McMullen | Grey Roots Museum & Archives
- Black History in Grey County | Emancipation Festival
- Black History in Grey and Simcoe Counties| Destination Ontario
- Black History Cairn | Visit Owen Sound
- Grey Roots working with community on Black history initiatives, by Rob Gowan | Owen Sound Sun Times