The Grey Highlands Public Library invites applications for:
Digital Archivist and Cataloguer – Contract (30-35 hours/week)
The Grey Highlands Public Library, a 3-branch rural library in Grey County, invites creative, and responsible senior secondary applicants for the position of Digital Archivist & Cataloguing Student. Working with library management and the Media Coordinator, the Archivist and Cataloguer will work to preserve the history of Grey Highlands through the management of the library’s digital newspaper archive, physical records, and the Grey Highlands Cultural TV Channel, as well as provide outreach to research groups, heritage committees, municipal departments, and more.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Digitize and index birth, death, and marriage records from the local newspaper from 1882-1950 (currently in card files)
- Digitize photos, scrap books owned by local fire department that provide history of department and fire events throughout the years.
- Digitize full issues of Markdale Standard (permission pending) and Flesherton Advance from 1950-1960 that are currently in microfilm format.
- Index existing digital newspaper records of Flesherton Advance and Markdale Standard from 1882-1950;
- Catalogue and Archive the Grey Highlands Cultural Channel video footage, including raw files, submitted video, and completed productions hosted on the TV and YouTube channels.
Assets and Skills:
The successful candidate will
- Have experience working with physical and digital archival materials, records management, cataloguing, indexing, and metadata
- Demonstrative communication and leadership skills; working with internal teams and external individuals and committees/groups, as well as working alone
- Possess excellent organizational skills; working from home, working on solitary tasks, working on multiple projects simultaneous, sticking to project timelines and objectives
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age.
- Have own transportation for weekly on-site meetings with supervisor.
- Post Secondary Student (completion of first year College or university): History or related discipline / Museum Studies / Archival Studies / Library and Information Sciences
- Hours of work: 30-35 hours per week Hourly wage- $18.14 per hour
Please Note: This position is contingent on funding from the YCW program.
Please submit your resume with cover letter preferably by e-mail, referencing: “Library Assistant- Public/Digital Services” to Wilda Allen, CEO, Grey Highlands Public Library: firstname.lastname@example.org
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all applicants. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted. The Municipality of Grey Highlands is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process.